Saturday, June 19, 2010

King of Snakes (Nagaraj)


I have made this a separate post although the events of the coming paragraphs still took place within the first few hours of my arrival to Sathya's house.

The name Nagaraj translates in Hindi to "king of serpents", and the this king of serpents deserves a few paragraphs all for himself. Although my father had told me about Nagaraj before I left, he had met him the last time he stayed with my aunt, he is really someone you have to meet for yourself. 10 year old, Nagaraj came bouncing into Sathya's house to say hello. After he spoke a little English saying "hello, my name is Nagarj. What is your name?", my grandma began to tell me his story. She said "he has no parents, and is a bit behind in the learning, but he will manage". I translated this to mean that he was more or less an orphan and had missed a lot of school because of it, but with a home and two people looking after him he would be just fine. My grandma and aunt have taken him in and he now sleeps upstairs next to Sathya.

When he and I got to know each other a little better, I gave him the gift I had brought from America. I gave him two packets of sunflower seeds, one yellow and one red. His eyes got big and he just smiled. He said "thank you, thank you, thank you", and that was the beginning of very long story about me and my Indian little brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment